Sunday 1 May 2016

The first few days after my fracture.

I read other blogs and many people just stayed at home and rested for the first few days after the fracture. As i was on my Honeymoon and flew such a long way to Iceland, i was determined to complete my journey and did not want to abort the trip and return back to Singapore. We rented a car and this made travelling much easier.

2nd day - 28 March 2016
Woke up and managed to use my core and my side arm strength to get myself out of the bed.
The day after my fracture, we had to head to Reykjavik from Selfoss to look for a pharmacy to get prescriptions for painkillers. The doctor prescribed paracetamol + codeine. I did a search and found out that codeine is a form of narcotics. Me, being anti medication and painkillers, refrained from taking any painkillers unless it gets unbearable. Nonetheless, on the safe side, we decided to get these medications. At Reykjavik , it was a public holiday, pharmacies were closed, but i met my ex colleague there and passed her the stuff which i bought from Singapore to her.

As our original plan was disrupted due to the accident, we twigged our route and had a slow day by visiting supermarkets, skogafoss and had a slow scenic drive. We stayed at Aurora bubble Hotel that night. It is our most expensive accommodation for our Iceland trip, but i was not able to fully enjoy it. The bed was low and i had a difficult time getting to bed. i had to drop down on to my knees and put one leg onto the mattress before my husband lay me down. It was cold and snowing outside. not the best condition for a fractured person to be out in the wild.


3rd day - 29 March 2016
We continued our journey and toured the golden circle before staying at Idgloo guesthouse at Reykjavik for the night. I felt very cold for the whole day as i could not wear my coat fully. For some spots, i just waited in the car while my husband went out to take pictures. We also managed to get our painkiller supplies from the pharmacy at Reykjavik,







Pain has significantly subsided. Had my first shower (only for lower body) as my bandage was across my chest and i could not take my top off.

4th day - 30 March 2016
We traveled slightly northwards and reached hellnar. We saw Fjords and more snow capped mountains and glaciers.




The weather was unpredictable too, we experienced great sunshine to heavy snow during our drive. The evening was spent at Blue Lagoon. I had planned the visit to the lagoon for a long time and was looking forward to it tremendously. It was one of my top priority of this trip. We have booked our tickets online and told them about my circumstances. blue lagoon offered to upgrade my husband's package and provided him towels and robes ,while i waited at the lounge for him. I really want to get into the water when i saw how blue and warm the water looks, but too bad for me. My husband enjoyed himself and was in the water for quite some time.




5th day - 31 March 2016 - Flying with a cast
Our flight to Copenhagen was early, at around 7+am. My husband wanted to stop his car at the departure area and carried our luggage into the terminal building, however the security personnel stopped him as no car can be left idle and unattended. The security personnel offered to bring the luggage for us .Thank you.

We were flying with Icelandair. check in was self service, i told the staff if i could do the check in at the counter due to my disability, they told me that check in counter is for travellers who are really immobile and i have a travelling partner with me, so i was not allowed. Oh well. We did our check in and at the luggage drop counter.
At the immigration check, the security asked me what was under my shirt, as my shirt was baggy and loose. I told her it is a "broken arm", she touched and looked at it, and looks apologetic.

The flight was full, and one of the stewardess on the flight asked how i got injured. The stewardess was friendly but it was quite an uncomfortable flight with my arm and hand swelling. I felt trapped in my economy class seat. However the flight was short, about 3 hours. napped a little, had some tasty Icelandic water and apple soda.

We reached Copenhagen, dragged my luggage with one arm, took the subway/train to the city and reached our hotel (best western city) pretty quickly.
We were planning to cycle in Copenhagen, like everyone does, but the plan was aborted too. We have to walk to most of the tourist places and it was very tiring and cold for me. My shoulders, back and neck ached from having to support my arm. I looked for every opportunity to sit and rest. Nevertheless, we survived.

6th day - 1 April 2016 - Period
My period came. Cramps + fractured humerus, not the best combination. Changing my sanitary pad with one hand, showering, menstrual cramp, fracture pain, all these add up to be rather torturous. Popped some painkillers to kill all these negativeness away. Headed to some city historic walk and carlsberg tour.was an exhausting day

 This was also the day where i can get onto the bed for my sleep on my own, though painful.

 7th day - 2 April 2016 - Period



Its one week after the fracture. The pain significantly subsided and i felt much better. Though my back and neck and shoulder was aching, we managed to travel rather far and went to many places (Frederiksborg. Kronborg castle. Stroget). It was an enjoyable day as it was the last day before we fly back to Singapore 

8th day - 3 & 4 April 2016 - the long flight home.
In the morning, we took at canal tour at nyhavn. It was an incredible beautiful journey. Totally enjoyed it and it only cost 6Euro for 1 hour.

We dragged our luggage and took the subway to the airport. The train was rather full and nobody gave up their seat for me. Check in at the airport was smooth. We requested for better seats and the counter suggested we request at the boarding gate. Queue at the security check was long, no priority given.

At the boarding gate, the Qatar airways staff told us that they could not put me at the emergency row given my mobility condition and suggested a row near the baby. However i declined. We stuck to our original seats which were the aisle and middle seat at the left window side.

We boarded the plane and it was rather full and the stewardess on-board told me that they will give me a better seat if available. My hopes were high as we saw a front row seat being empty. Before i could request to take that row, a Caucasian couple sought the air crew's approval and they successfully got those seats. So much for saying that they will leave the better seats for me, an injured person.
In the end, I moved to the aisle away from my husband and sat at a row where there was an empty seat. Honeymoon on a separate seats. Oh well. However there was a particular nice stewardess who will check on me. Thank you for that.

We arrived at Doha, and was informed that our flight back to Singapore will be delayed. Security check at transit was long, no priority was given too. Requested for better seats at the boarding gate too, but flight was full. Oh well. I sat at the aisle while my husband sat at the middle seat beside the window. Poor thing. The flight was long and we were really tired.

The flight back to Singapore was very uncomfortable. Long flight plus delay. My arm was swollen and my back, neck, shoulder ached terribly. It was also difficult to eat on the plane, given the small space and opening the food packaging was a chore. Spreading butter on the bread was a no-no for me. The crew from Doha to Singapore did not seem to realize my arm was injured. No special attention given. Oh well. For the price i paid, cant expect too much.

WE reached Singapore and more security check. No priority given too. At the skytrain at T3, a group of china tourist were rather noisy and rowdy and one of them knocked onto my arm. My arm jerk and it was very painful too.

Back home, my mother in law brought me to my first hair wash after 8 days. It felt sooo good to have someone massaging my scalp and washing all the dirt and oil from my hair.



No comments:

Post a Comment